Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Planning the dye beds

Finally I'm planning the layout for my garden dye beds. I want eight 4'X8' beds with 2' pathways in between. I'll have:
Yellow Bedstraw (Galium verum) - red from the roots, 4 plants in 16 sq. ft.
Madder - red from the roots, 6 plants in 32 sq.ft.
Dahlias - orange yellows from the flowers, 8 plants in 32 sq. ft.
Weld (Reseda luteola) - yellow from the flowering tops, 32 plants in 16 sq.ft.
Yellow Cosmos - yellows from the flowers, 12 plants in 6 sq.ft.
Peppergrass/Garden Cress (Lepidium sativum) - a really clear yellow from flowers and plant, 256 plants in 64 sq.ft.
Japanese Indigo (Polygonum tinctorium) - blues from the fresh leaves, 40 plants in 64 sq.ft.

I'm also buying flax seed for two 4X8 beds.

I'm making some drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment